27 June 2022

As the Planets Align

I witnessed June 2022's planetary alignment on the morning of the Summer Solstice. I rose early, drove to the foothills of Casper Mountain, and stood in awe to behold Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Venus, and Mercury sweeping in order across the sky, all leading to the dawning of the sun above the horizon. Of course, the Moon stood next to Jupiter that morning, and Uranus and Neptune hid in full view as well, although I did not bother with binoculars or a telescope, so I could not see them. The five wandering wonders blazed breathtakingly bright. An absolutely spectacular alignment. Once the Sun was up, I resolved to have my family see the alignment too, while they could.

The morning of June 24th would be the best view, for the Moon would be standing--as if in place of Earth--between Venus and Mars. I bought a bag of Little Debbie donuts, set the alarm, and warned the wife and kids. Awakening early that morning, I stumbled outside to check the sky. Dark and overcast. I awoke the family anyway. While they were shambling into their jackets, I made hot cocoa, grabbed the donuts, and made sure to bring the binoculars--all while hoping against hope that the clouds would break. They did not. Kelly and the Twins were not too terribly upset that I had dragged them out at such an ungodly hour. They did enjoy the donuts and cocoa, after all. Nevertheless, I became even more determined that they had not risen in vain, that they should--and would--witness the planetary parade.

For the next few nights, I awoke at 3:30 and crept out to check the Heavens.

Again and again: Cloudy.

Finally, this morning, Monday, June 27th, I arose to check the sky. Clear as crystal. I awoke the wife and Twins, made some cocoa, snapped up the donuts, remembered the binoculars, and drove everybody up the hill. Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, and Venus blazed forth. We all stood in amazement,a few of us shivering in the cold, crisp, stillness, with the wind but a whisper. So then, chomping donuts and sipping cocoa, we all sat in the car and watched the sliver of a crescent Moon race its way over the horizon. With the first intimations of dawn colouring the sky in crimson orange, we kept watch for Mercury to appear. Little, elusive Mercury is tough to catch in the glare of the Sun. At last, we found it, hiding to the side of the Moon. And just like that, the planets began fading into the faint haze of morning.

I am thrilled that the sky finally broke, that the family got to witness the rare celestial wonder, and that they  don't all hate me for insisting they participate in such a crazy escapade. What an awesomely auspicious way to begin the Summer.


Saturn and Jupiter


Jupiter and Mars



Mars and Venus

Venus

The Moon


Venus, Mercury, and The Moon








No comments:

Post a Comment