13 September 2012

Equality State Book Festival

Friday and Saturday, September 14th and 15th, the Equality State Book Festival will celebrate "books, authors, and the written word in Wyoming." Craft talks, seminars, readings, signings, even a luncheon will all be taking place. Also, the Wyoming Arts Council will be presenting this year's Creative Writing Fellowship awards. (One of these years I hope to be a recipient--if I could just remember to send in that dang application before the deadline.)

Pat Frolander, Wyoming's current Poet Laureate, will be presenting during the festival at the college Friday morning as well as reading at a poetry slam to be hosted by Metro Coffee Co. Friday evening. She's a great lady--kind, courteous, not to mention a pretty good poet.

Also presenting, from the Universtity of Wyoming, will be Alyson Hagy, author of "Snow, Ashes" among other books. I attended a presentation she gave at the Natrona County Public Library on her collection "Ghosts of Wyoming" a couple years back. An impressive speaker, reader, and writer. She was kind enough to sign a copy of her book for me, but beyond that she also let me meet her the next day so that I could give her a copy of a little story I wrote set in Wyoming. She gave me an honest critique and some genuine encouragement, and I will always be grateful to her for that.

Anyhow, I plan to catch at least a few of the events. I'll have flyers and bookmarks available at the book tables at the college and hopefully down at Metro. I look forward to the festivities, and I hope eveyone who wishes gets a chance to participate in the celebration.

http://www.equalitystatebookfest.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment